Today we celebrate the 1950’s and the perfection of the classic vintage diamond engagement ring.
The engagement ring, as we know it, was invented in the 1950’s. The diamond was established as the engagement ring stone of choice and the solitaire setting was popularized. The next seventy years of engagement ring design was built on the foundation of the 1950’s.
But what makes the 1950’s engagement ring so special, so extraordinary? When I think of art & fashion that is simultaneously traditional and extraordinary it all comes down to details. What are the characteristics of this diamond? What fire does it have? How does the diamond’s cut elevate the stone to the sublime with each and every facet? And the mounting, how does the curve of the shank enhance or detract from the central stone? It is those small details that are hard to express in words, but are transformative in reality, taking a diamond engagement ring from beautiful to extraordinary.
And so, today, I thought I’d share five undeniably “pinworthy” 1950’s engagement rings with you.
1. This is a stunning Mid Century diamond platinum engagement ring. Centered by a sparkling 2.55 carat brilliant cut diamond, this 1950’s wedding ring is all about the center stone.
2. For the alternative bride, this beautiful 1950’s vintage diamond halo engagement ring is centered by a sparkling 1.6 carat yellow Old European cut diamond. Eleven smaller Old European cut diamonds provide the perfect halo for the beautiful center stone.
3. The perfect classic vintage diamond engagement ring, this platinum ring is centered by a 1.1 carat Old European cut diamond in an illusion setting.
4. Exquisitely feminine, the central diamond of this 1950’s engagement ring is accented by soft lines and sparkling diamonds. A favorite of mine, this Orange Blossom diamond engagement ring reminds me of my grandmother’s wedding ring.
5. This is another wonderfully classic vintage engagement ring, with a 2.03 ct brilliant cut diamond set in a prong setting. Small diamonds sparkle from the shoulders of the platinum ring.
Please visit our site for more stunning 1950’s Engagement Rings!